Throughout life, a person has a high sensitivity to moldswhose exposure to the indoor environment is greater than in the open air. Increasing numbers of allergens are significant for their spores – spores that are released into the air and are significant allergens. The mold in the apartment is a serious problem for human health and it can be a source of toxic substances. Approximately 70-80% of moldsare sources of toxic substances (mycotoxins).
In the past, the problem of mold formation was linked to poorly isolated basements. Nowadays it is a problem caused by badly realized roofs and permeability of facade panels.
The growth of molds is caused not only by structural-constructional errors, not proper insulation, but also improper maintenance of apartments and insufficient ventilation.
Thermal insulation of facades, with the use of vapor barriers, as well as high-tight plastic windows reduce the ventilation of the walls and thus natural ventilation, resulting with an increase in the breathing rate, increasing the humidity of the environment and consequently the number of microorganisms. Thus, the positive effect is the energy saving but also brings less beneficial effects that need to be eliminated by the ventilation mode.
Molds may also appear in new buildings in relation to new and damp building materials.